Volunteer frequently asked questions

How do I become a STEM ambassador and get a DBS certificate?

To volunteer with the Maker{Futures} programme we require you to have a DBS certificate which you can obtain by registering as a STEM Ambassador volunteer. Start the process of registering to be a STEM Ambassador and applying for a DBS certificate as soon as possible because it may take a while for your DBS Certificate to come through.

For more information take a look at the STEM Ambassador website

What volunteering events are coming up?

If you have completed our volunteer information form we will email you with details of upcoming events where we need volunteers. Just reply to the email to let us know if you are available. We will be in touch to confirm the times and address and we’ll send you a calendar invitation.

How will I get to the schools and do you cover travel expenses?

You will need to organise your own transport to the events. We can reimburse public transport costs and petrol (at 45p per mile), but not taxis. Please keep receipts, mileage details and/or tickets for your expenses claim form. University of Sheffield students will need to complete the student expenses claim form (doc 114KB), volunteers who are not University staff or students can complete the non-staff expenses claim form (doc 138KB) and submit to edufinance@sheffield.ac.uk. University staff should follow the usual expenses process - please contact us for the project account details.

What happens when I arrive for a volunteering session?

You will be met at the school by the Maker{Futures} team who will explain the arrangements for the event.

What do I need to bring on the day?

You will need to bring your DBS certificate and a packed lunch.

Can my friend volunteer with Maker{Futures}?

Yes! Please ask them to fill in our volunteer information form to put their name down for the next induction.